Accommodation Options for your Stay
Self-isolation options for Students, Staff and Faculty
It is essential that you have a safe and clean place to complete your self-isolation period, and that you abide by all mandatory self-isolation rules. If you cannot self-isolate in your long-term or existing accommodation, you must arrange for alternate accommodation. This could be on campus in one of the options listed below, or at an off-campus hotel or vacation home.
UBC Student Housing residents moving into or returning to shared units (any space that shares a washroom and/or kitchen with another student) who must self-isolate due to travel, tracing or illness must self-isolate in a different, private space before moving into or returning to their shared unit.
If you are travelling and isolating with friends or family, contact UBC Conferences & Accommodations for on-campus options, or consider booking an off-campus vacation home or multi-suite hotel.
The Government of Canada makes frequent adjustments to self-isolation rules. Visit UBC’s Travelling to Canada During COVID-19 webpages for details and recent updates.
UPDATE! All air travellers arriving in Canada must complete a 3-night stay at a government-approved hotel in the city of their arrival, while awaiting the results of a COVID-19 test taken immediately upon landing in Canada.
Once travellers receive a negative result on their arrival test, they can leave their government-approved hotel, take a connecting flight if required, and complete their mandatory 14-day self-isolation.
New! UBC Self-Isolation Package Subsidy
UBC is offering subsidized rates for students who indicate they are facing financial hardship. The subsidized rate for the UBC Self-Isolation Package (accommodation and meals) is $45 per day. The subsidized rate for the Self-Isolation Meal Plan (only available to residents able to self-isolate in their own units) is $15 per day. See below for additional details.
UBC SELF-ISOLATION PACKAGE
Walter Gage | Max 14-Nights | Includes Meal Plan
We recommend that you book 14-days as a precautionary measure – you will only be charged for the length of your stay. Amenities:
- Furnished one-bedroom unit with single bed, unequipped kitchen and private washroom with shower. Complimentary WiFi, no air conditioning, no laundry, one-person maximum occupancy.
- Housekeeping services not provided but bed linens, towel and soap provided on arrival.
- Included meal plan includes three meals delivered daily. Preferred meal package (omnivore, carnivore, pescatarian or vegetarian) selected at the time of booking.
- Personal and health supports including direct access to medical professionals and other wellbeing supports, even after-hours.
Costs, Reservations and Terms
- Accommodation and Meals: $79 per day plus tax | $45 per day plus tax (subsidized rate)
- Reservations are available on a first-come first-serve basis while capacity lasts. If you are unable to secure a reservation, you must book alternative self-isolation accommodation.
- If you have booked a UBC Self-Isolation Package and your arrival date has changed please contact us as soon as possible to ensure we can still accommodate your reservation.
- UBC is offering a subsidized rate of $45 per day for students who indicate they are facing financial hardship during the registration / purchasing process. Available on a one-time-only basis. Taxes will be applied to the subsidized rate (if applicable).
- Residents able to self-isolate in their own units who indicate they are facing financial hardship during the registration / purchasing process can purchase a Self-Isolation Meal Plan at a subsidized rate of $15 per day by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Package provided by UBC Conferences & Accommodation. Transportation and transfers, such as airport pick up and transfer to longer-term accommodation, is not included.
Additional On-Campus Option
Student Housing and Family Suites | Details and costs available upon request
UBC Conferences & Accommodations manages a vast array of campus housing options. If you don’t see a package that meets your needs, or if you are travelling with family members and require specialized or additional services, please contact us at email@example.com or 1-888-822-1030 for more information and potential options
Hotels, Motels and B&Bs
Most Vancouver’s hotels are open, although some amenities may be closed, such as fitness rooms and swimming pools. Hotels, motels and B&Bs can be accessed through Tourism Vancouver, Booking.com and other online portals. Please be sure to indicate to the hotel staff or host in advance that you are seeking a place to stay while self-isolating.
Many hotels in Vancouver are offering special 14-day self-isolation packages to the general public. We’ve listed several options here, all of which need to be booked directly with the hotel.
The Holiday Inn Vancouver Airport is located near the Vancouver airport at 10720 Cambie Road. In-room dining is available for an additional fee. Breakfast is included for an additional $140 + tax. Must be 18 years or older to book. Complimentary shuttle service available by calling the hotel at 1-888-831-3388 or at 604-821-1818. Must wear a mask. Please call the hotel directly to make a reservation at 604-821-1818 or at Toll-free 1-888-831-3388 and use group code ISOTHUBC.
The Residence Inn Vancouver, featuring newly-renovated studio suites with fully-equipped kitchens, is located in downtown Vancouver at 1234 Hornby Street. Meal Plan options are available for additional fees. $100 Uber Eats credit included. Must be 18 years or older to book. 20% discount on laundry.
The Radisson Hotel is located near the Vancouver airport at 8181 Cambie Road. In-room dining is available for an additional fee. Must be 18 years or older to book. Complimentary shuttle service available by calling the hotel front desk at 604-276-8181. The rates start at $1,610 with no breakfast or $1,946 with breakfast (plus tax)
The Exchange Hotel is located in downtown Vancouver at 475 Howe Street. In-room dining is available for an additional fee. Must be 19 years or older to book. No shuttle service. Hotel is 5 min. walk from Waterfront Station (Skytrain).
The YWCA, located at 733 Beatty Street, Vancouver, is offering special room rates for self-quarantine. More information here.
For families, a vacation rental may be a good choice during your self-isolation period. You should inform potential hosts that you will be renting their property to self-isolate. Ask if there is a separate entrance to the accommodation, and if there are any vulnerable individuals (65+ or immuno-compromised) on the premises. You may be asked by the border officer that you have ensured that you will not be in contact with such individuals. Ask if the landlord can provide basic cleaning supplies so you can clean upon arrival. Popular vacation rentals include Airbnb and VRBO.